Search This Blog

Contributors

Monday, February 12, 2018

Steal This Game: Gods and Monsters for Godbound


Once more, a good game concept open with a bit of a negative comment from me. Maybe it's exactly why I talk about these other games when it come to 'stealing' their setting and concept for Godbound. Maybe its just these games works off mechanics I don't like. In any case, today's focus is Gods and Monsters. A FATE game. Yes, you heard me ri- no please, don't run away! Please!

Available as a 'pay-what-you-want' PDF on Drivethru RPG, Gods and Monsters has a similar central concept to Godbound in that you play divine beings. However, whereas Godbound take place in a decayed, post apocalyptic world past the end times the world of Gods and Monsters is much, much younger. Its a young world where most myths still need to be told. While FATE is a 'story game', I find that the core concept and ideas of this game are surprisingly applicable to a sandbox Godbound game. Its world is pretty much nothing but wild expanses of primordial locales which are more archetypal than real, such as a great near-endless ocean or the First City (maybe there's a second one? Who knows?). Its more late neolithic and early bronze age or perhaps more accurately recalling those periods before recorded human-history-as-we-know-it in myths, such as the previous 'ages' of Greek myths or past Yugas of Hinduism. Its Gods are just human enough to be understandable and relatable and just inhuman and allegorical enough to be strong and and wonderful.

If you want a game that is more Epic of Gilgamesh this is well worth a read. I'm well aware FATE (and its fanbase) have a lot of bad blood with the OSR community but this game is a worthwhile read nonetheless, at least in my opinion.

I might even revisit this one later down the line on how to use it for Sandbox play. In fact I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment