Few book series were as influential to my love of tabletop as the Fighting Fantasy books. Despite ending and going out of print in 1995, the series saw a revival in 2002. Of course, to me, the temporary 'death' of the series was meaningless as their staggering popularity in the French market on both sides of the ocean meant that the actual Fighting Fantasy as well as a slew of related or similar books all saw continious printing under the base of "Un livre dont vous êtes le héros". These included the original Fighting Fantasy originals, Lone Wolf and too many sub series and spinoffs I cannot remember. It is possible some were original creations of the French market, leaving many of these series as nothing more than vague memories of my childhood.
These books were everywhere in public libraries and I don't mean just in the sense they had a lot but, rather, that for some inexplicable reason you could always find one you hadn't read before. These weren't new copies either, but older prints that had seen so much wear and tear they turned yellow and had to be repaired with duct tape. Truly a magical find for any kid and teenager, plus I'm willing to bet my neighborhood's library somehow still has a few I never found or read, somehow hidden between old manga or a Breaking Bad DVD. These books introduced me to tabletop RPG mechanics, including the dice rolls and character sheets which made me try to invent my own systems where I could run adventures I'd invent for my friends. Its only several years later that a creepy and shady uncle I haven't seen in decades (Is he dead? Or in prison? Who knows?!) gave me a D&D Player Handbook. The rest was history. However, with the boring lockdowns that will never end and the creep of Canadian winter I'm left to wonder: were these books any good, really? Surely it can't be just nostalgia given how these books are held as classics and have since been given an IOS release. If I was to read one to see if I still like it, what should I pick? One considered one of the old gems, such as the original 'The Warlock of Firetop Mountain'? A timeless classic like 'City of Thieves'? A more experimental work such as 'House of Fear' or 'Creature of Havoc'?
![]() |
| Oh my... |

"When we talk about pests and pest inspection, the first thing that needs to be clear is that what organisms fall into the category of pests. Pest is an animal or plants that can be harmful for humans and their concerns or simply cause nuisance.
ReplyDeleteWhile talking about inspection services. Pest inspection service Dallas Fort Worth offers inspection services to find black ants, bed bugs, houseflies, fleas, cockroaches, moths, rodents, termites, bees and wasps. This list contains organisms that are a potential threat to the health of the residents of a house or if its a commercial building then the people who spend most time in it. They are harmful because they carry many diseases with them and affect the people getting in contact with them. Some of them are a danger to clothes, timber, can bite to cause discomfort or simply just a mere irritation. Texinspec sends best pest control inspector in Dallas to your house to help you get rid of all these problems and live a peaceful life free of pests.
"
What your doing with your life is writing about role playing that you love. There are folks that read your blog such as other bloggers like myself keep up the good works.
ReplyDeleteVictoria Furniture offers you a unique blend of contemporary and classical furniture, accessories and a fully furnished house.
ReplyDeletehome furniture in pakistan
Furniture Shop In Lahore
Its a nice Blog very good descusion
ReplyDeleteThe #1 Trusted Home Inspection Company in Dallas & Fort Worth
Radon testing North Richland Hills