Search This Blog

Contributors

Thursday, August 1, 2019

Phasing Out the 'Random World' ...but it will live on!


The so-called Random World has been my baby for a while now. Born as a thought experiment in fleshing out a world to use for OD&D/basic OSR stuff using nothing but a randomly generated map it has since grown into its own thing. However as a setting it is as usable as it will get and one downside to its randomly generated map is I'm a bit stuck with what I have. Since the setting isn't going to be used on tabletop in the foreseeable future I'm shelving it. Its done. It has been fun and really helped me stretch my creative muscles but it will only go so far.

So now what?

Well there's material in there which is very usable and I'm quite happy with, namely the monsters. The stuff I've worked on for use, which tries to straddle the line between being unique from the basic D&D stuff while still being completely recognizable and usable with a basic system is something I'm quite proud of: these goblins and trolls are pretty simple but hey, I like what I did with them! As such this material is likely to get a redo and get some polish for a later setting.

Goodbye, Random World. You sparked something in me and for that I am grateful. Its a shame I'll never run you as-is.


No comments:

Post a Comment