Truth be told I like to think my tastes are fairly diverse and I mean that in the sense of being flexible:
- I've defended one of the more maligned 'modern D&D' race, the Dragonborn and think it is a good race with potential. At the very same time I've also expressed a fondness for settings where most, if not all player race options are 'human' or 'almost human'. These are mutually exclusive tastes. The key thing here is some games I like one style and some games I like another.
- Setting-wise I've written extensively about the very high fantasy weirdo transhuman-divine Godbound setting which is very much high powered. I've written a lot about Exalted (and running it using Godbound) but at the same time I'm very fond of low magic, low powered grim and gritty games. Again, very different styles and I can do one of the other.
- My tastes and inspirations have run the gamut from the 'back-to-classics' approach with my newfound fondness of Robert E. Howard, Tolkien and the others and the general sense of understanding the roots of the entire genre. At the same time I've admitted being a filthy fucking weaboo drawing inspiration from anime of all things.
- I've rambled about and praised OSR games to the point people joke I'm a "Born Again Grognard". Yet at the same time I have never dropped the extremely linear, slow-paced, story-driven roleplay I've done on IRC for years. That doesn't mean I don't run high lethality games or sandboxes. I just do both at different times.
Ultimately I don't find this to be a bad thing. There's nothing wrong in having multiple, conflicting styles or tastes at once. The key is understanding that different games and different groups can allow a different permutation of my tastes.
No comments:
Post a Comment