....
....no, not the real world belief in Flat Earth, I mean applying Flat Earth concepts to your fantasy world and abandoning a realistic heliocentric model. Fantasy worlds are inherently unrealistic, especially those where divine creation and influence are concrete, provable things. There is little reasoning in why gods who created the universe would make their home a random dirtball spinning in the cosmos for no apparent reason.
My personal favorite take among those which come with a Flat Earth is the possibility that there is always 'more land' somewhere away, which is something obviously highly convenient for a Game Master. When I ran a (very short lived) Sword & Sorcery game, I implemented the idea of 'continents beyond the ice wall' in the background, even if these ideas never got to play much of a role in the game itself.
- Perhaps your setting has no 'Outer Planes' which are separate reality. Merely distant, less mundane lands beyond the walls around the world, temporarily summoned to the center lands by magic.
- Alternatively, maybe your world is made of stacked horizontal planes, with the underdark as the one below and the sky the one above. I have no idea what could be beyond either of those!

No comments:
Post a Comment